Media and Communications Advisor
- Use your media know-how to put the Green Building Council of Australia on the map
- Flexible work arrangements to support a work/life balance
- Sydney or Melbourne
About the opportunity
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Market Communications, you will have an overflowing contacts book, the ability to quickly generate media releases, and an appetite to increase your network by building relationships with journalists, public relations contacts and member representatives in the sustainable property industry. Sitting within the Public Affairs team, you will work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders, generate copy for printed and digital collateral and deliver strategic communications advice to support the delivery of the GBCA’s strategic and operational priorities.
The challenge in this role comes with your ability to find the positive news angle, effectively breakdown complex technical information into digestible, media friendly material, develop a network of media contacts and help to grow the Green Building Council of Australia and Green Star brands.
This is a full-time role with the option of flexible working arrangements based in our Sydney Office. We have recently relocated our office to an exciting business community in Sydney’s newest 6 Star Green Star Communities rated precinct, Barangaroo.
- Manage day-to-day media enquiries from members and external stakeholders.
- Oversee CEO and Executive leadership media engagement.
- Oversee review process for all media releases in a timely manner.
- Produce all speech or MC notes for the CEO and other executive team members.
- Research, write and oversee the editing process for large communication projects.
- Provide input and contribute to the GBCA’s consumer engagement website Living Green Star.
Required skills and experience
- Tertiary qualifications in a related field such as journalism, communications or public relations.
- Over 5 years direct experience as a media advisor, communications manager or journalist (ideally in the sustainable built environment).
- Exceptional communicator, both verbal and written communication.
- Adept at listening to others and using judgment to adjust communication style.
- Autonomous and proactive to plan and prioritise tasks to ensure deadlines are met.
- Strong networking skills and the ability to build rapport quickly.
- Flexible to adjust to changing conditions and demands.
- Results focused and strong attention to detail.
Join a motivated and committed team who are passionate about creating healthy, positive places for everyone. By being part of the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) team you can expect a fulfilling and rewarding career helping to build a sustainable future. The GBCA offers a progressive environment and culture that will support you to learn and develop in your chosen career.
- Mentoring program
- Educational assistance program
- Employee of the Quarter (GBCA Star Award)
- Agile working environment (activity based working)
- Complimentary fruit and snacks
The GBCA was established in 2002 and is the nation’s authority on sustainable buildings and communities. We are an industry association committed to developing buildings, cities and communities that are productive, liveable, healthy, resilient and sustainable. As part of our core business:
- We certify the sustainability of buildings and communities through Australia’s only national, voluntary, holistic rating system – Green Star.
- We educate industry and government practitioners and decision-makers and promote green building programs, technologies, design practices and operations.
- We advocate for the sustainable transformation of the built environment.
We employ over 40 staff and our national office is based in the 6 Star Green Star rated Barangaroo precinct in Sydney; but our collaborative and flexible team works across Australia.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities and an inclusive work environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment at the GBCA without regard to ethnicity, religion, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, age and disability.
How to Apply
Please apply through Seek including a covering letter and resume addressed to Catherine Andon, HR & Operations Manager.
Closing date for applications: COB 26 January 2018