KYC Deputy Executive Officer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
About the Koorie Youth Council (KYC)
The Koorie Youth Council (KYC) is the representative body for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people in Victoria. Led by an Executive of 15 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people and our state-wide members, KYC values the diversity and strength of young people as decision-makers. KYC advocates to government and community to advance the rights and representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people. By hosting events like the annual Koorie Youth Summit, KYC brings Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people together to amplify their voices for social change.
The KYC is auspiced by the Youth Affairs Council of Victoria.
About the Youth Affairs Council of Victoria (YACVic)
The Youth Affairs Council of Victoria Inc. (YACVic) is the peak body and leading policy advocate on young people’s issues in Victoria. YACVic’s vision is that young Victorians have their rights upheld and are valued as active participants in their communities.
About the role
The KYC Deputy Executive Officer is a new role within the KYC responsible for leading activities in the areas of regional engagement, community partnerships, youth participation, leadership development and supporting our young Executive members. The role also supports the KYC Executive Officer to advocate and represent the voices of Aboriginal young people in Victoria.
- Support the KYC Executive Officer to advocate and represent the voices of Aboriginal young people in Victoria.
- Supervise and support three staff: Executive Support & Administration Officer, Participation & Development Officer and Aboriginal Youth Mentoring Project Officer.
- Support KYC’s young Executive members by organising meetings and facilitating and identifying training and capacity building opportunities.
- Lead the development of youth participation and leadership development projects and initiatives.
- Coordinate and deliver KYC’s regional youth forums and other regional engagement activities, in partnership with key stakeholders.
- Manage relationships with a range of community stakeholders to inform and support youth participation processes and practices.
- Manage and deliver presentations, workshops and training aimed at increasing youth engagement and participation in the wider community.
- Assist with the development and delivery of the annual Koorie Youth Summit.
- Act in the role of KYC Executive Officer when required.
- Any other duties the employer may assign to you, having regard to your skills, training and experience.
Key Selection Criteria
- A strong understanding of the Victorian Aboriginal community, with a demonstrated knowledge of community strengths and issues, particularly those that relate to young people.
- Demonstrated ability to work with young people within a youth participation framework.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, presenting and facilitating groups, forums or workshops.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully leading teams or projects.
- Excellent ability to engage and build a strong rapport and partnerships with key community stakeholders.
- Demonstrated understanding of appropriate behaviours when engaging with children and young people from diverse backgrounds and commitment to the Code of Ethical Practice for the Victorian Youth Sector.
- The capacity to frequently travel around the state to engage with communities and deliver programs.
This is an Aboriginal and Torres Islander identified position. Only Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are eligible to apply as this position is exempt under the special measures provision of S12(1) of the Equal Opportunity Act (VIC).
Reporting & Accountability
The KYC Deputy Executive Officer reports to and is accountable to the KYC Executive Officer.
You will enjoy:
- a flexible, disability friendly, family friendly and fun work culture,
- a high degree of autonomy and collegial support,
- sector-leading professional development,
- a new, Melbourne CBD office.
YACVic is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position. YACVic promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children and young people, including those with a disability, those who are Aboriginal or those from refugee or migrant backgrounds.
How to Apply
Applications should be emailed to Indi Clarke, KYC Executive Officer at email@example.com with ‘KYC Deputy Executive Officer’ in the subject line and must include:
- A brief cover letter including where you saw the job advertised
- Your resume
- Your answers to the Key Selection Criteria, as listed in this position description
- Contact details for a minimum of two referees, including your last line manager (we will not contact referees without your permission).
Applications close at 5pm on Friday, 16th March 2018. Interviews will take place in the week beginning March 19th 2018.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Indi Clarke, KYC Executive Officer on 0427 461 800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.