Intern Advisor – CareerTrackers
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Come and help us change the landscape of Indigenous Australia. CareerTrackers is creating career opportunities for Indigenous university students that are making history.
CareerTrackers is a national not-for-profit organisation that creates internship and private sector employment opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander university students. Our goal is to increase the representation of Indigenous Australians in professional private sector employment.
We have adopted a model from the United States which is being recognised as an innovative solution to levelling the playing field for Indigenous Australians with respect to employment. Through engaging the CEO’s of Australia’s leading corporations, CareerTrackers develops opportunities for Indigenous university students to undertake winter and summer semester break internships designed to develop them into the corporate and community leaders of tomorrow.
Since inception in 2009 we have grown to support more than 1,354 uni students as they make their transition into uni and professional workplaces across 86 employers including Qantas, CBA, Lendlease, NAB, Red Cross and the Sydney Theatre Company. We also have 43 staff who are based in central offices in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.
Our purpose is to Create Opportunities That Inspire Excellence, which drives our passion to develop our students into future industry and community leaders so they can become the role models for future generations of Indigenous students. We believe that by creating a strong community of role models we will see more Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander gain a degree at university and pursue their career passion.
Who is this job for?
- Applicants must role model professional traits and have completed a university degree;
- Individuals who are passionate and are willing to go the extra mile to support Indigenous university students achieve their dream careers;
- Someone who performs well in teams and has a strong desire to learn.
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander candidates are encouraged to apply.
- As an Intern Advisor, not only are you shaping the lives of CareerTrackers participants you are also developing your own career. Every Intern Advisor is provided with coaching to develop their skills and confidence. In addition, Intern Advisors have access to industry experts who provide ongoing training and development.
Overview of the role
- Work in a team with other Intern Advisors and be responsible for students participation in the program
- Engage with our key partners including some of Australia’s top employers and education institutions to create opportunities for students
- Provide training and create internship opportunities aligned to students degree and career passion
- Present the CareerTrackers program at university campuses and register students
- Build students confidence and support them to achieve and retain internship opportunities that lead to a graduate position
The responsibilities of an Intern Advisor are to:
- Engage students to enter the CareerTrackers program and university through uni campus visits.
- Assist students in establishing a career plan and deliver training workshops designed to ensure they are successful at uni and in the workplace.
- Provide year-round guidance to students in all aspects of work, uni and community.
- Work with employers to create a safe and structured work environment for Interns.
- Ensure Interns receive challenging assignments at work and are respected as members of their department.
- Engage in special projects designed to support the professional growth of participants,
- Assist in the overall program development of the CareerTrackers program to ensure it meets the needs of participants.
- Professional development including access to world class training
- Exposure to some of Australia’s most influential corporate and community leaders
- Gain first hand experience and learn about career pathways that you never knew existed
- Build your personal brand and obtain skills that will accelerate your career
How to Apply
CareerTrackers is a small team with big impact and lots of visibility. If you are keen to share in our vision for reconciliation, please submit an application by emailing your CV and a Cover Letter which addresses your experience in relation to the criteria above to:
With subject line:
Intern Advisor – Brisbane Application via Indigenous Employment Australia website.