Counsellor- Domestic Violence/Child Trauma Specialist
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
PROGRAM / ROLE DESCRIPTION
Strong Indigenous Families is a program designed to assist address family violence in Indigenous communities as part of the National Plan to reduce violence against women and their children. The Program is based on a whole family approach to address the causes of family violence. The Counsellor / Child Trauma Therapist role is responsible for developing interpersonal relationships with the client (women and children) to enable them to develop self-understanding and to make changes in their lives within a framework that is culturally appropriate and trauma informed.
Qualifications / Prerequisites:
- Diploma of Counselling or equivalent Territory Qualification
- National Police Records Check and Working with Children’s Clearance
- Current Northern Territory Driver’s License
KEY AREAS OF REPSONSIBILITY
- Provide counselling sessions that apply theoretical knowledge of complex trauma and/or crisis interventions, demonstrating an ability to assess for and manage complex trauma appropriately
- Provide for skill development in the areas of coping mechanisms, mediation, conflict resolution, anger management, grief and loss and health promotion
- Identification and provision of strategies to assist keep women and children safe including the development of safe exit bags.
- Ensure interventions developed to address client needs are clearly linked to an appropriate treatment plan, which is continuously monitored and evaluated for effectiveness
- Report risk management issues that may impact upon the safety and health of clients
- Identify and develop focus groups, return to country days, group therapy or other community activities in accordance with the goals of reducing domestic and family violence
- Undertake and/or participate in case coordination of clients where required
- Demonstrate a commitment to supervision and professional development.
- Engage and work closely with the Community Engagement Support Officer (CESO) to assist with bridging cultural and language gaps
- Provide high level support to the Healthy Relationships workshops in community
How to Apply
For further details regarding this position please refer to the Position Profile _Counsellor (Specialist Child Trauma and or Family Violence)
- a completed online Employment Application Form
- current resume of curriculum vitae (cv)
- cover letter / email which provides a clear and concise overview of your ability to meet the key requirements of the role (prerequisites, qualifications / experience and competencies)
If you have any queries regarding this position please contact a member of the Human Resource team on 8972 9129.