NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
AbSec (the Aboriginal Child, Family and Community Care State Secretariat) is the peak Aboriginal organisation in the NSW child and family welfare sector. We provide an Aboriginal perspective on child protection and out-of-home care policy to the NSW Government, and support the Aboriginal community-controlled sector to deliver effective services for Aboriginal children and families. We are a not-for-profit, incorporated community organisation, governed by an all-Aboriginal board.
About this role
We are seeking a skilled and qualified person to join our team as Communications Officer. The successful applicant will be responsible for overseeing effective strategic communications for the organisation, including media management and analysis, developing marketing materials, maintaining our website and social media presence, promoting programs and events, developing our branding and raising our public profile.
Our ideal candidate
Our ideal candidate is an Aboriginal person with at least three years’ experience in marketing or communications, and some knowledge/experience in public policy or Aboriginal community services. You will be a self-driven and independent worker who thrives on building productive working relationships, and responds well to direction from the Executive Officer and CEO.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in media, marketing or communications, preferably for an Aboriginal organisation, not-for-profit or community services organisation
- Substantial experience in developing and implementing effective, multi-channel communications strategies and campaigns
- Understanding of the principles of brand marketing, with experience in promoting a consistent brand
- Experience in media relations, confidence in preparing senior executive staff for media appearances, and strong working relationships with key media contacts
- Ability to independently manage social media profiles and grow audience engagement
- Strong written communication skills across multiple formats, targeted to diverse audiences
- Strong relationship-building and community engagement skills
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter (one page only), a statement addressing your suitability against the selection criteria, and your current resume (maximum five pages). If you are successful in obtaining an interview, you may be required to provide the details of two referees.
Please submit applications to Dakota.Torrens@absec.org.au or post to PO Box 604, Marrickville NSW 1475 by the closing date.
For any enquiries, please contact the current Communications Officer, Alyssa Robinson on (02) 9559 5299 or Alyssa.Robinson@absec.org.au.