Aboriginal Wellbeing Officer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
- Make a positive impact on the lives of Indigenous offenders
- Supportive team environment
- Excellent career development opportunities
- Salary range $65,713 – $79,790 + superannuation
Located in Lara, a short 45 min drive from the Melbourne CBD and only 15 mins from Geelong, HM Prison Barwon is a maximum security prison for male offenders.
Corrections Victoria has a firm commitment to reducing the over-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the criminal justice system and improving the mental health and social and emotional wellbeing of Indigenous prisoners.
About the role
As the Aboriginal Wellbeing Officer, you will provide welfare, advocacy and support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prisoners. This includes:
- providing culturally appropriate counsel and support to Indigenous prisoners and advocating on their behalf where appropriate
- assisting Indigenous prisoners to access appropriate pre and post release programs and entitlements to help them reintegrate into the community
- working with Indigenous prisoners in order to maintain appropriate links with their families, Indigenous community organisations and other relevant groups
- facilitating Aboriginal cultural events and activities, including NAIDOC events and Koori specific programs.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- a good knowledge and understanding of the Victorian Koori community and the ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with its members
- excellent interpersonal, conflict management and communication skills
- a high level of integrity and commitment to the rehabilitation of offenders.
This is an Aboriginal Designated Position, classified under ‘special measures’ of section 12 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010. Only Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are eligible to apply.
How to Apply
Please click here to submit your application.
Applications close on Monday 11 June 2018.